Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland (BGCSM), a youth development organization, opened in 1999 as Calvert County Boys & Girls Club. The organization serves youth in Southern Maryland providing after-school programs from 3 – 6 pm daily and summer camp from 7:30 am – 6 pm.
Our mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. So many children today, underprivileged and upper class, boys and girls of all races, turn to the streets, gangs and crime because they do not have a positive role model in which to turn. And some children just need a safe place to call their own. That’s why BGCSM is more important than ever.
Our professionally trained staff are there when youth need us most. We provide a positive and safe place for youth, 5 – 18, to learn and to grow during after-school hours and during school breaks providing them with programming designed to help create, foster, and nurture productive citizens equipped with the tools to be contributing members of the community in which they live.
Did You Know?
- More than 60% of parents work outside of Southern Maryland — creating a need for safe after school programs for children.
- Maryland has the highest rate of alcohol use by 8th graders in the United States.
- Many families use the BGCSM to support their need for supervised out-of-school-time care. With a $30 annual registration fee and $30 weekly fee, we remain the least expensive child care resource available to all families, regardless of need.
- BGCSM is a critical support to families and to its surrounding communities. Nationwide, violent juvenile crime rates double when most schools let children out, and Maryland has the highest rate of alcohol use by 8th graders in the United States.
- Southern Maryland is mostly rural with limited supervised recreational areas for youth.
- Many families use us for child care. With a $30 annual registration and $30 weekly after school fee, we remain the least expensive child care resource available to all families, regardless of need.
“To Inspire and Enable All Young People”
To inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
What Does Boys and Girls Club Do?
So many children today, underprivileged and upper class, boys and girls of all races, turn to the streets, gangs, and crime because they do not have a positive role model in with to turn or are unsupervised during out-of-school time. That is why the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland (BGCSM) is more important than ever! Our screened and professionally trained staff and mentors are there when youth need us most. We provide a positive and safe place for children ages 5 to 18 years old to learn and grow after school.
How Can My Child Become a Member?
Clubs are open to boys and girls from ages 5 to 18. An annual membership is only $30. After School fess are $30 per week. No child has ever been turned away and there are many opportunities for children to “earn” memberships.
Board of Directors
Kisha Flagg, Board Chair
United States Geological Service
Adzekai Kuma Taylor, Vice Chair
Kai Ki Kreations
Josette Ray, Secretary
Internal Revenue Service
Miriam Rudder Holman, Treasurer
DC Office of the State Superintendent
Mason’s Treehouse Bed & Breakfast
Charles County Schools
Annapolis & Anne Arundel County Scholarship Trust
Community Cares, Community Does
Inova Health System
Friends of the Board
Sidney (Sid) Curl
Theatre & Project Consultant
Karen Douglas, Licensed Clinical MSW
Karen Douglas Consulting
Dr. Susan Jenkins
Joy Hill Whitaker – Chief Executive Officer
Christine Michelsen – Director of Programs & Operations
Jalyha Kyles – Unit Director – Lexington Park
Arnell Thompson – Unit Director – Indian Head
Forrest Gray – Building Maintenance
Northern High School Future Business Leaders of America
Deerbrook Charitable Trust
United Way of Calvert County
Epsilon Chapter Delta Kappa Gamma Society
Chick- Fil- A (Prince Frederick, MD)
Outback (Prince Frederick, MD)
Calvert County Library
Mr. Sid Curl (Mystery Theatre)
Ms. Sharon Adams Taylor
Ms. Tina Holloway
Mr. Bradley Gillian
Dr. Susan Jenkins
Dr. Jeffery Y.H. Chung, LLC
Twin Beach Players
Brian McDaniel – Crow Entertainment
Janet Sefton – 4-H University of Maryland Extension
Calvert County Public Schools/McKinney-Vento (Homeless Liaison – Tracy Loyd)
Alpha Kappa Alpha – Omega Phi Omega Chapter
Calvert County Master Gardeners